Sunday, February 1, 2009

Back on the bandwagon

Wow, this post is horribly overdue. Sorry ya'll, I'll try and sum up some of my adventures.
Finishing up the quarter in a flooding city was suprisingly easy, mostly because all of my work could be put off until after winter break. I did manage to pull some things together at the last moment and come out with a few nice pieces, most of which I have already posted.

This semester seems like it will be a free for all. With the large group of undergrads who arrived two weeks ago, I have been flat out told "do your own projects". I've had many conversations with the director about his seeming lack of interest in my progress towards completing my degree to which I am quickly dismissed. So pretty much it is now up to me to make sure this happens. By referencing other Master programs and contacting the accrediation firm who give the greenlight on the MA in the states, I have created a program for myself. I guess that is just italy- self starters are the only ones to get ahead.

As I said, there is a new group of undergrads here now living with me. It feels strange to have all of these memories and experiences in venice while the world is still fresh for them. Every day i get about half a dozen questions on how to get somewhere or how to do something. My answers to many of these questions must sound harsh to their new ears: "Everything is 20 mins away, if you want this done you'll have to make it happen, and I know it sucks, but that is italy."

With all of this I have been put in a strange position at school- long story short, the lab tech/translator/wood-cut teacher was let go because frankly the school didn't want to pay her anymore. A new tech was hired at 30% workload of the old tech and are just expecting me to "help-out" and do most of the work. Okay, not a problem- I am in there all the time anyways, knowing how to prep things isn't a bad thing. However I was quickly repremanded by the director for volunteering to help pick students at the airport. Something about my position needs to be made very clear- that I am a student not an employee. Okay.... so why am I now taking records for student expense accounts in the lab?

Really, I am complaining a lot only because it can be extremely frustrating to get contradicting information, but I have full access to one of the best print labs ever and full control over my future here. When I'm tired and don't want to go to class, I just leave, and everyone is fine by that.

But through all of this nonsense I did have one of the best birthdays of my life! Abel came to Venice for 5 days and we just went around using the city for what it trully is- a wonderful place for two. I rented us a flat in a quite part of town which was amazing- our own washer, a tv, nice new appliances, a real bed! It makes me remember that I trully live in a bomb shelter. Anyways, it was beyond words. I am so happy he came, and am already counting down the days until ireland!
from our apartment window

Okay, long and horrible, but that is the update. I'll be more on this- promise.

No comments: